PET CARE CLUB SAVINGS ACCOUNT:
We know that your pets are a part of your family and that you want to take care of them like you would any other family member. That is why we have created a new savings club account to help you care for your pet’s routine and unexpected needs.
How it works:
- Once the account is opened, add money to the account via direct deposit, in the branch or via mobile deposit
- Withdrawals are easy! Just bring in a receipt, vet bill or estimate for care!
What can you use the money in your Pet Care Club account for? Routine & unexpected Veterinary Care, Medicine, Food, Pet Care Supplies, Grooming, Boarding and pretty much any pet care related expenses.
Bonus: We’ll provide a 1% bonus to your Pet Care Club at the end of the year on the balance in your account (minimum of $100 balance is required).
Plus as a Franklin First Member you qualify for discounted Pet Insurance through PetPartners, visit Franklin First.org for details!
Here are some winter pet safety tips from the Ma government safety tips website:
- Keep pets indoors when possible. If it’s too cold for you it’s probably too cold for your pets. Don’t keep your pets outdoors for long periods of time during very cold weather.
- Provide outdoor shelter for your pets. Make sure they have a dry, draft-free doghouse that is large enough for pets to sit and lie down in, but small enough to retain body heat. The floor should be elevated a few inches off the ground and covered with cedar shavings or straw. The entrance should face away from heavy winds and be covered with a flap of heavy waterproof fabric or heavy plastic.
- Care for your pets feet. Salt and other chemicals used to melt ice and snow can harm your pet’s feet. Gently rub the bottom of your pet’s paws with a damp towel to remove these irritants after a walk or buy boots to prevent paw irritation during winter months. You should also look for signs that your pet’s feet are uncomfortably cold, which could include them frequently lifting their paws, whining or stopping.
- Never leave a pet locked inside a car during extremely cold weather. Cars can act like a refrigerator, holding in cold air and putting your pet at risk.
- Keep antifreeze out of reach of pets. Man types of antifreeze have a sweet taste that can attract animals. Wipe up any spills right away to avoid antifreeze poisoning.
- Check your vehicle before starting the engine. Parked vehicles can attract cats and small wildlife which may crawl under the hood seeking warmth. Bang on your hood to scare away animals before starting your engine.
Franklin First continues to support special causes in Franklin County:
- Adopt-A-Family has returned to Franklin First Credit Union! Stop by the branch and chose a stocking off our tree, purchase a gift and return it back to us by December 12th. Or you can make a donation towards the families Holiday dinner by placing funds in the buckets placed at each teller window. Please help us to make this Holiday season the happiest yet for a deserving family!
- Toys for Tots has retuned again this year. Please bring in an unwrapped gift for a child and place it in the box in our lobby by December 18th. Your gifts will be picked up, wrapped and distributed to children in our area.
- The Franklin County Rotary and Greenfield Kiwanis are sponsoring the 2nd Annual Festival of Trees at the Yankee Candle Village in South Deerfield MA. This is a fundraising event in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Franklin County and the Franklin County Regional Dog Shelter. All fully decorated and donated Christmas trees will be on display and available to win. Tickets are available at the door by cash or card.
- Hours are:
- Thursdays and Fridays 5:00-8:00 P.M
- Saturdays 10:00 A.M-6:00 P.M.
- Dates are:
- November 30th-December 2nd
- December 7th-December 9th
- December 14th-December 16th
Speaking of the Franklin County Regional Dog Shelter, we have their 2018 Calendars for sale in our lobby. They are very beautiful this year and feature rescued and adopted dogs from the shelter. They can be purchased for $10.00 each and will benefit the shelter so that they can continue to provide care for all animals brought to them.
Franklin First Federal CU is please to be chosen as the 2017 Recorder Favorite CU for Franklin County. Thank you to all who have voted for us.
Franklin First will be closed December 25, 2017 for the Christmas Holiday and January 1, 2018 in celebration of New Years.
We wish all of you a happy, safe and joyful holiday season and a prosperous new year.
DECEMBER RECIPE OF THE MONTH
Chose this recipe for the busy holiday season. Put in the Crock pot and go on with your day.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Stew
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
- 10 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (26 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 6 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- Combine the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken soup, chicken bouillon, garlic salt, celery salt, and black pepper in a slow cooker; cook on High for 5 hours.
- Stir the frozen mixed vegetables into the slow cooker, and cook 1 hour more.